Are you a manufacturer in Nigeria? You are into the production of products or you import goods into the country and you want to promote and sell these goods? You will need to register them with the Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON). In today’s article, I will guide you on how to do this easily and every other thing you need to know about the SON.
What is the Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON)?
The Standard Organization of Nigeria is a statutory body that has the power and responsibility for standardizing and regulating the quality of all products in the country. The SON was established by Act No. 56 of 1971. SON is a full member of the International Organization for Standardization (IOS).
Why do You Need to Register Your Product With SON?
There is no new product that can be considered well enough for consumption by the public without being certified safe by the regulatory body called SON. This means that you cannot bypass SON except if you want to sell substandard products and if you do this, it will not be long before the law catches up with you.
Many times, many entrepreneurs have genuine products but because they have not been certified by SON, they are products are considered illegal. When your products are duly registered it shows transparency and when there’s transparency, your products can be trusted.
Benefits of Registering Your Products with SON
There are many benefits you stand to gain when you register your products or business with the Standard Organization of Nigeria.
1. When your product is duly registered with SON your product packaging will be stamped with the SON logo. This shows that your product has been tested and trusted.
2. This shows that your products can be traced both by regulatory agencies and consumers.
3. It is hard for your products to be counterfeited when your product is registered under SON and it has the SON logo.
4. When your product is registered under SON and it is counterfeited you can sue the company or individuals doing it.
5. It keeps you the producer in check to continue to produce products that meet up with the standards.
Penalty for not Registering Your Products with SON
The penalties can be very tough especially if you are a novice in the system.
1. You can be sued for the production of substandard products.
2. You might be asked to pay a fine determined by the organization.
3. Your goods can be seized by the inspectorate and compliance directorate for being harmful or counterfeits. This can be a huge loss especially if the products are in large quantities.
How to Register Your Product with Standard Organization of Nigeria
Follow these steps below to register your business or products with the Standard Organization of Nigeria.
1. Visit the SON official website: son.gov.ng on your phone or personal computer.
2. Look for the ‘e-product registration’ on the homepage then click on it to start.
3. At this stage, you can log in if you have an existing account or sign up as a new user.
4. If you are a new user you should click on ‘new account’ for registration and input your business number (RC3254). Please note that before registering your product or business with SON you should have registered your business name under CAC first. After inputting your business number you should then input your email address. Please make sure it is accessible.
5. After clicking on sign up, the system will send a 6 digits pin to your email.
6. Proceed to your email and copy the 6 digits sent. Input your RC number as your username and the 6 digits as your password.
7. Proceed to fill in your company’s information and click continue.
8. At this stage, the site will generate payment advice for you. You should print it and take it to the bank. That payment advice is usually with a remita number (RRR). It is this RRR number you will use to pay at the bank.
9. After the payment has been made in the back, you will be given a payment receipt containing vital information about your payment. Revisit the website and log in then fill in the necessary information required on the payment receipt on the website. The moment you are done with this your registration is officially complete.
It is easy to register your business name in Nigeria from the comfort of your home. It is now easy to register your business or product with SON. The steps to do this are very easy to follow. There are many benefits to registering your business with the Standard Organization of Nigeria.