Planning an international adventure from Nigeria? Exciting! But booking international flights online might seem like a daunting task, especially if you’re new to it. Don’t worry, though – I’ve got you covered.
In this beginner-friendly guide, I’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of booking international flights online in Nigeria. Say goodbye to travel stress and hello to exploring the world with ease. Let’s dive in!
Documents Needed to Book a Flight
Having these documents ready before you start the online booking process will make it smoother and ensure you have all the necessary information to complete your reservation. These documents are:
* Your passport.
* A valid Visa.
* National ID Card.
* Your travel insurance details.
* Proof of onward travel (if required by your airline).
* Enough money to cover the cost of your flight.
Types of Flight Tickets
When booking an international flight online in Nigeria, it’s essential to understand the different types of flight tickets available to suit your travel needs. The most common options are Economy, Business Class, and First Class.
1. Economy Class
This is the budget-friendly choice and the most commonly selected option. It offers comfortable seating, in-flight meals, and access to entertainment options. If you’re looking for a cost-effective way to reach your destination without all the frills, Economy Class is the way to go.
2. Business Class
If you desire a bit more comfort and luxury during your journey, consider upgrading to Business Class. You’ll enjoy larger seats that often recline fully, gourmet meals, priority boarding, and access to exclusive airport lounges. It’s a great choice for those seeking a more comfortable travel experience.
3. First Class
For the ultimate in luxury and pampering, First Class is the top-tier option. First Class passengers enjoy spacious cabins, luxurious amenities, gourmet dining, personalized service, and even private suites on some airlines. While it comes at a premium price, it’s the epitome of air travel luxury.
Websites to Book Flights in Nigeria
When it comes to booking flights online in Nigeria, there are several user-friendly websites that can make your travel planning a breeze. Here are some top choices:
1. Travelstart: Travelstart is a popular option known for its simplicity and wide range of flight options. You can easily search, compare, and book international flights to your dream destinations.
2. Jumia Travel: Jumia Travel offers a user-friendly platform where you can find great deals on international flights. They often provide discounts and special offers for budget-conscious travelers.
3. Wakanow: Wakanow is a trusted travel agency with an online presence. Their website allows you to book international flights, hotels, and even holiday packages with ease.
4. Kayak: Kayak is a global travel search engine that can help you find the best international flight deals. It aggregates options from various airlines and travel agencies, making it a valuable tool for travelers.
5. Skyscanner: Skyscanner is another handy flight search engine that lets you compare prices from different airlines. It’s known for its user-friendly interface and useful features.
Other online flight booking sites include: Air Peace, Ibom Air, Dana Air, Azman Air, Arik Air, Ethiopian Airlines, Emirates Airlines, Esky and so on.
How to Book International Flight Online in Nigeria
Below is the step-by-step process of booking international flights online in Nigeria:
1. Research Visa and Entry Requirements
The first step in booking an international flight from Nigeria is to research the visa and entry requirements of your destination country. Different countries have varying visa policies and entry rules, so it’s crucial to ensure you have the necessary documents.
Make sure you apply for your visa well in advance, as processing times can vary. Some countries may also require specific vaccinations, so consult your healthcare provider for advice. Understanding these requirements and having all the necessary paperwork will save you from any last-minute hassles and ensure a smooth travel experience.
2. Choose a Booking Platform
Once you’ve clarified the visa and entry requirements, the next step is to choose a reliable booking platform. There are several online travel agencies and airline websites available, and selecting the right one is essential. The best part is that most of them are user-friendly and easy to navigate.
Look for a platform that offers a user-friendly interface, secure payment options, and a wide range of flight options to suit your needs. Popular platforms like TravelStart, Kayak, or the official websites of airlines like Arik Air or Ethiopian Airlines are good places to start your search. Read reviews and compare prices to make an informed decision.
3. Specify Your Travel Cities
After selecting a booking platform, it’s time to specify your travel cities. Determine your departure city in Nigeria and your destination abroad. Be specific about the airports you’ll be departing from and arriving at, as many major cities have multiple airports. Additionally, consider if you need a one-way or round-trip ticket.
Double-checking these details ensures that you book the correct flights and avoid any confusion during your journey. Remember that some major cities may have multiple airports, so be sure to select the one most convenient for your travel plans. Once you’ve specified your travel cities, you can proceed with confidence to pick your travel dates.
4. Pick Your Travel Dates
The next step is to pick your travel dates. Start by choosing the date you want to depart from Nigeria to your international destination and the date you plan to return. Make sure to consider any visa requirements and the duration of your stay at your destination.
Consider factors like your work schedule, the weather at your destination, and any special events or festivals you’d like to attend. Be flexible with your dates if possible, as this can help you find better deals on flights. Keep in mind that some days of the week may have lower fares than others, so it’s worth exploring different options.
5. Find and Pick Your Preferred Flight
Now that you have your travel dates set, it’s time to find and pick your preferred flight. To do this, you can use various online travel agencies or airline websites. Start by entering your departure city (e.g., Lagos or Abuja) and your destination city. You’ll see a list of available flights for your chosen dates.
Take your time to compare different flight options based on factors such as price, layovers, and airline reputation. Don’t forget to check for any additional fees or baggage policies. Once you’ve found a flight that suits your needs and budget, click on it to proceed with the booking process.
6. Enter Passenger Information
Now that you’ve selected your flight, it’s time to enter passenger information. This step ensures that your booking is personalized and secure. You’ll need to provide the following details for each traveler:
* Full Name: Enter your name exactly as it appears on your passport.
* Contact Information: Include a valid email address and phone number so the airline can reach you with important updates.
* Passport Information: Input your passport number, expiration date, and issuing country.
* Date of Birth: This is crucial for age verification and for ensuring you meet any age-related travel requirements.
* Special Requests: If you have any specific requests or preferences, such as dietary restrictions or seat preferences, you can add them here.
After entering all the required information, review your booking one last time to make sure everything is accurate.
7. Select Extras (Insurance, Baggage, etc)
The next step is to customize your international flight booking by selecting any extras you might need. These extras can include travel insurance, extra baggage, seat preferences, and more. Travel insurance is highly recommended, as it provides coverage for unexpected situations like trip cancellations or medical emergencies abroad.
You can usually add insurance during the booking process to ensure peace of mind throughout your journey. Additionally, consider your baggage needs carefully. Airlines often have specific baggage allowances and fees for excess baggage. Select the appropriate baggage options based on your travel requirements.
8. Confirm Your Payment Method
After selecting your extras, it’s time to confirm your payment method. Ensure that the online booking platform you’re using offers secure payment options. Most airlines in Nigeria accept payments via credit/debit cards, bank transfers, or popular mobile payment apps.
Double-check the total cost of your booking, including extras, and review the payment details before proceeding. Make sure your payment information is accurate to avoid any issues with your booking. Once you’ve successfully completed the payment, you should receive a confirmation email and a booking reference number.
9. Receive Your E-Ticket via Email
Once your payment is successfully processed, you’ll receive your electronic ticket (e-ticket) via email. This document is your virtual boarding pass and contains crucial information, such as your flight itinerary, booking reference, seat assignment, and important travel guidelines.
Make sure to save a digital copy of your e-ticket and check that all the information is accurate. It’s a good practice to print a physical copy or save it on your mobile device for easy access during your journey. Your e-ticket is your key to boarding the international flight you’ve just booked.
10. Prepare for Your International Flight
With your e-ticket in hand, you’re almost ready for your international adventure. Check your passport’s expiration date and ensure it’s valid for at least six months beyond your intended return date. Familiarize yourself with the baggage allowance and weight restrictions to avoid excess fees at the airport.
Next, plan your transportation to the airport, considering factors like traffic and airport security checks. Arriving at the airport well in advance will help you avoid any last-minute stress. Pack your luggage according to the airline’s guidelines, and don’t forget to bring essential documents, such as your passport, e-ticket, and any necessary visas.
Booking Hacks and Tips
These tips should help you navigate the process of booking international flights online in Nigeria more efficiently and cost-effectively:
1. Plan Ahead: Start your search early to snag the best deals. Airlines often offer lower prices for flights booked well in advance.
2. Flexible Dates: Be open to adjusting your travel dates slightly. Sometimes, flying a day or two earlier or later can lead to significant savings.
3. Compare Multiple Websites: Don’t settle for the first deal you find. Explore various travel websites and compare prices, as they may differ.
4. Set Fare Alerts: Sign up for fare alerts from airlines or travel websites. They’ll notify you when prices drop for your desired route.
5. Consider Nearby Airports: Check if flying from or to a nearby airport is cheaper. Sometimes, a short drive can lead to big savings on your ticket.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
a) Which is the best site for flight booking?
When it comes to booking international flights in Nigeria, TravelStart is a considered the best and most trusted option. They offer a user-friendly platform with a wide range of flight options, making it easier for travelers to find the best deals.
b) Do flights get cheaper closer to the travel date?
Usually, flight prices tend to rise as the travel date approaches. It’s generally a good idea to book your international flight well in advance to secure better prices. Last-minute bookings can be costly.
c) Is there any direct flight from Nigeria to the USA?
Yes, there are direct flights from Nigeria to the USA. Airlines like Delta, United, and Arik Air offer non-stop routes from major Nigerian cities to several US destinations.
d) How much is a US Visa?
The cost of a US Visa can vary depending on the type of visa you’re applying for. The price ranges from N200,000 and above.
e) How much does it cost to travel to Europe?
The cost of traveling to Europe can vary widely based on factors like the time of year, the destination within Europe, your travel style, and the duration of your stay. As a rough estimate, travelers can plan on spending around $1,000 to $5,000, covering accommodation, meals, and local transportation.
In conclusion, booking an international flight online in Nigeria is now more accessible than ever. By following the steps I’ve outlined in this article, you can confidently navigate the process and secure your tickets hassle-free.
Remember to compare prices, check visa requirements, and choose a reputable airline and booking platform. With a little research and careful planning, you’ll be jetting off to your dream destination in no time. Safe travels, and happy booking!